Monday, March 2, 2015

AWOL!

Wow, did February get away from me!  I can't believe it's already March!!!  The past five weeks have been the most emotional and trying weeks I've had in a long time....

Towards the end of January I got slammed with the flu.  Hit me like a ton of bricks and completely knocked me down for a few days.  Then, just as I was starting to feel better, round #2 started.  Unfortunately, it was that strand of flu that knocks you flat and between the upset stomach and the fatigue... I didn't get out of bed for days.

Then, on February 12th I lost my dear grandmother.


She survived the open-heart surgery back in December and was on her way to a full recovery when...WHAM!  She gets hit with the flu while in the nursing home which turned into pneumonia.  Such a shocker, especially seeing as though they were talking about sending her home. We spent a few days in PA with my family for the funeral, which turned into some of the hardest days of my life.  I was very close with my grandma, and now there feels like such a void in my life.  I don't think it's really hit me yet, but I'm sure it will here soon. 

As soon as we got back from PA, I was hit (yet again) with some kind of bug that knocked me down again.  I think it was a combo of being around so many people for a few days, plus being physically and emotionally drained that did me in.  Finally was feeling a bit better by the weekend, and spent two days cleaning my house.  It had been in shambles for going on three weeks due to being sick and then having to go out of town.  It was in DIRE need of a good scrubbing!

That weekend I also had to finish Hubby's scarf for Comic Con.


He and a group of his friends went to the Cleveland Comic Con and of course they had to dress up!  Well, it was only him and one of his gal-pals, but they had a blast!  The "Gru" scarf was simple enough to do, just took a little bit.  Stephanie is a dead ringer for "Lucy" from Despicable Me 2!!  They said they had a ton of people stopping them and asking for photos.  Lol!  I managed to finish the scarf in the wee hours of the morning on Sunday, but it was done in time for them to leave at 10 am the same day.

The past week or so has been crazy at work which has left me exhausted by the time I get home.  This past weekend totally got away from me and I didn't get anywhere near what I wanted to do done.  I did manage, however, to get the Bionic Gear Bag started for my BFF.


I'm not going to lie, I was a bit intimidated to do this one, especially after seeing that the instructions were over 80 pages long!!!  I did find an awesome tutorial on YouTube of a gal demonstrating the construction of the bag from start to finish.  It was a total life saver! The bag is sitting at about 95% done, just have the main outer zipper to finish and it'll be done.  I had every intention of finishing it up on Saturday, but the day just slipped away and I never got around to it.  That's my goal for tonight is to finish it up so it can be packaged and mailed off to her by the end of the week :D

Also on the list to finish up this week....

  1. Finish the Valentine's Day vests I started for Hubby and & DJ partner - I know it's past Valentine's Day, but I don't want to leave these as a UFO until next year.  Better to get them done and off the list.  Just have one to finish the side seams on, and then both need buttons & buttonholes.  
  2. Finish Hubby's Family Guy Quilt -  This sucker has been sitting on my work desk for weeks... just needing quilted.  I am DETERMINED to get this done this weekend!  I think I'm just going to keep the quilting simple for now so it can get done.  With any luck, it'll be ready to hand-bind by the end of the weekend.
Well, that's it for me for now.  Sorry again for abandoning you again!  I would say it won't happen again, but unfortunately.... I can't make any promises.  Lol.




Sew Fresh Quilts


Linking back to Freshly Pieced's WIP Wednesday and Sew Fresh Quilts' Let's Bee Social

3 comments:

  1. Your bag looks awesome! Looks as if hubby had a fab time - love it! So sorry to hear of your loss Jess, sending you lots of hugs and you are in my thoughts. You will never really get over loosing a loved one, but it will get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better, and so sorry to hear how badly your February sucked. So very sad about your grandmother; hospitals and nursing homes are a nest of germs...just not fair. Know that the memories will help you, even though they are painful in the beginning. 80 pages would make me put the pattern in a drawer for a few years...good for you for getting that scarf done for your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your bag and choice of fabrics. I have this pattern sitting at the side of my cutting mat and have selected the fabric three times over already all in the name of procrastination as I find other things to do in the meantime! I just need to bite the bullet and you have inspired me to do so this weekend!

    ReplyDelete