Sunday, May 17, 2015

Operation: Stabilizer Organization

WOO HOO!! This is post #100!!!  Just thought I'd share :-)

I have been a crafter for as long as I can remember. I leaned how to knit when I was about 6, and started sewing around 7 or 8. A couple of years ago, I was introduced to scrapbooking. Finding time to craft, especially with so many different ones has always posed a problem. Even more so is finding places to store everything!  The more crafts you do = the more stuff you have.

With my recent obsession/passion for quilting and embroidery, my craft "hoard" has gotten a little out of control. I've got things stuffed into tubs, my closet, two bookshelves, storage chests, and pretty much any space bigger than a matchbox. As you can imagine, it makes finding things that much more difficult. 

Last December Hubby and I moved my craft cave from a smaller upstairs bedroom to the first floor master bedroom. Not only is it nice to not feel so disconnected being cooped up in an bedroom upstairs away from everything, but the master bedroom is MUCH bigger, giving me the space I needed. 

I've made it my mission this summer to get organized, use from my stash, and to get projects done. First step... Freeing up a drawer in a filing cabinet which holds up my craft table counter. It's "prime real estate" in my room and I'm desperately needing a place to organize and file all my patterns and embroidery stitch out sheets. 

This is what the drawer was being used for....

It was housing all my embroidery stabilizers, and not very well I might add. I was having to pull out almost every roll looking for what I needed and it was becoming such a nuisance.  So.... I went in search of a solution. 

I found a bunch of ideas online, one being a shoe rack. Great idea, but I wanted it to match my room if it was going to be out in the open. So, I figured I could just make it myself. I found this awesome pattern on Etsy and immediately knew it would be perfect!  


I got some pink & black fabrics from Joanns, along with some clear vinyl and I was ready to go. The pattern is very well written and very clear and easy to understand. With a little help from Hubby in cutting the dowel rod for me, it was ready to hang. Only took a couple of evenings and it came out better than I had hoped!  


Stabilizer Holder Details:

  • Started: May 13, 2015     Finished: May 16, 2015
  • Finished Size: Approx 18" x 35"
  • Pattern: Embroidery Stabilizer Keeper by I Gotta Stitch on Etsy
  • Fabric: Keepsake Calico: Leigh Medallions and Flowers and Keepsake Calico: Leigh Dots from JoAnns
  • Batting: Warm & White Cotton Batting remnant
So great to finally have a place to store them that makes them easy to see (and monitor amounts).  I've got it hanging by a Command clip on the back of my door and it really looks great!  I also so happy to have that filing cabinet emptied!  Now I can get my patterns and such organized.  It's a small step in my mission for organizing, but it's still a step.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous storage solution and that you made it - even better :-) Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :) Juliet here :) I've been missing you on the forum! Are you alright? Always a pleasure to read your blog, I've been lurking but from now on I'll be active :)

    ReplyDelete