Thursday, November 20, 2014

Decisions, Decisions

Well, the Garden Party quilt is well underway. After 2 hours of playing with the layout last Friday night, I think I finally got it!

Attempt #1 - REALLY not liking it yet
I guess I didn't plan this one out properly and I REALLY struggled with how to get it evenly balanced between lights and darks. 5 tries later... I found one I thought worked so I just bit the bullet and went with it. 

Attempt #5 - Went with it and it's all pieced and ready to go
Got the "inner quilt" done and added the borders.  So... funny story...

When I was getting it all laid out Friday night, I realized I was short quite a few cornerstones and like 21 posts! Couldn't figure if I couldn't count or if the directions had the wrong numbers on it. Anywho, got it all pieced together and couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was 5" bigger in each direction than it was supposed to be. Yea, I added extra sashing and cornerstones around the WHOLE quilt when it was supposed to be just on the inside (does that make sense?). Added the first white border before I figured it out. I just rolled with it, adjusting the pieced border accordingly. Instead of adding a 2 1/2" white border around the whole thing, I cut it down to 1 1/2" instead... Too much white.

After all the mishaps with this quilt, I was so thankful to get the top done and this baby basted on Sunday :-)


I've spent the past few nights working on the quilting, and I'm planning on getting it wrapped up this weekend, permitting nothing comes up ;-)

I also managed to get a finished project done this week, so make sure to check back tomorrow and check it out!

Hope everyone is having a terrific Thursday!

I Quilt @ Pretty BobbinsMy Quilt Infatuation


Linking back to Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation and I Quilt Thursdays at Pretty Bobbins.




5 comments:

  1. This turned out fabulous, I love the layout you went with! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so pretty! And your outer layer really looks like it should be there, so no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I should make a Garden Party on of these days... I love your fabric :)
    (I'm Liberty on M* forums)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, I love it! Your adventures in planning and counting made for a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous colors! and way to work it out after your mishap. that kind of thing has happened to me before!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete